It’s formally bug season and I’m scrambling to search out pure methods to repel all of the bugs thriving from the wetness Might left behind. The summer time months are forward of us and pure citronella oil is an absolute should. Utilizing fully pure substances, let’s enterprise into the fantastic world of candle making and defend our outside house the pure method with DIY citronella candles! These pesky mosquitoes aren’t any match for these highly effective insect repellent candles!
We stay in Oklahoma and our state is notorious for allergy symptoms and bugs. There are screens on each window as a result of there isn’t any method you can enable a gateway for bugs to hitch your family. If mosquitos are an issue in your neck of the woods, you’ll need to contemplate making these DIY citronella candles. Plus, I’ll provide you with a number of extra tips about learn how to keep bug free this summer time!
Why Make DIY Citronella Candles?
Making your personal DIY citronella candles is a good suggestion for a number of causes. One, it’s artistic and enjoyable. Received’t you get a way of pleasure burning selfmade candles? Additionally, they create ambiance. Candle gentle on the patio, a glass of wine, good music-it’s a vibe that’s for positive! The largest motive is they supply safety in opposition to mosquitos. Whereas they aren’t the best bug repellent you can use, they’re value utilizing and supply not less than one layer of safety. I wish to put on THESE non-toxic bands in addition to hold my selfmade bug spray shut. Whereas working towards all three habits, you need to be capable of have an pleasant time outdoor.
A few years in the past I wrote a put up on a DIY Bug Repellent recipe and likewise a Bug Chunk Balm. I talked concerning the risks of typical bug sprays and confused that squirting copious quantities of bug repellent time and again is very poisonous. Through the years I’ve made a number of new batches of my bug repellent and have already put it to good use however I’ve all the time wished to make my very own citronella candles as a result of I LOVE candles and who doesn’t want as a lot safety as they will get with these dang mosquitos!
You may also like my citronella bug repellent cubes as nicely! These candle wax melts are easy to make and require no wick!
First, a number of issues about Citronella Important Oil…
Citronella oil is a well-liked and efficient pure mosquito repellent. It’s additionally a superb soother for bug bites! It’s a potent anti fungal in addition to antibacterial and antiseptic.
In a 2011 situation of Tropical Medicine & International Health, an evaluation of 11 research on the capabilities of citronella oil discovered that the important oil doubtless supplied as much as three hours of safety in opposition to mosquitoes.
Citronella oil repels mosquitos by blocking the scent of people that draws them.
Second, a number of issues about beeswax candles…..
Do you know that beeswax truly purifies the air? Beeswax releases NEGATIVE IONS into the air very similar to diffusing important oils does. Air pollution like smoke, dander, pollen, mud and filth carry a POSITIVE cost. The destructive beeswax ions connect to the optimistic pollution and mainly wrestle them to the bottom to the place they’re inactive!
Burning beeswax candles will be extraordinarily useful for these of you affected by allergy symptoms and bronchial asthma! If you’re burning pure beeswax candles, it solely takes a pair hours of burning to assist clear the air!
For extra detailed step-by-step (with image) directions, consult with my put up on learn how to make beeswax candles.
What You’ll Want for DIY Citronella Candles:
- 1/2 cup Unrefined Coconut Oil
- 1 lb. Beeswax
- 1 ounce (600 drops) Citronella Important Oil
- Glass containers or jars in your candles.
- Lead Free Wicks
- garments pins
- A medium sized pot
- A glass pyrex bowl with spout
- A cookie sheet
- Put together the empty containers through the use of a sizzling glue gun to connect the candle wick within the backside of the jar or glass candle holder and steadying it with a garments pin.
- Place your ready glass candle holders within the oven at 170 levels.
- Create a double boiler by filling a medium sized pot 1/2 method full with water, place a glass pyrex bowl within the water.
- Pour beeswax and coconut oil in a glass bowl and permit to completely soften. Preserve your range high on low-medium warmth.
- Take away glass bowl from warmth and add 80-100 drops of Citronella to the wax.
- Pour sizzling wax into glass containers. I used to be capable of make 5 candles from 1 lb. of wax. You may see the sizes from my footage.
- Regular the wicks and let the wax cool, ideally in a heat (170F) oven. (see why beneath)
- Trim your wicks. (1/2 inch from the wax)
- Permit to set for 48 hours as a way to treatment earlier than lighting.
- Purchase low cost citronella important oil. There isn’t a must go along with a top quality model.
- We aren’t making use of it to our pores and skin and we’re utilizing quite a bit. I used THIS oil.
- When you have a bunch of previous candles mendacity round and even candles that you simply did not burn fully, you’ll be able to soften the wax and use them on this recipe. Beeswax is in fact a more healthy possibility however I all the time like to repurpose objects in my residence that I not use! Skip the coconut oil in case you are utilizing already made candles.
- In the event you want to skip the beeswax, you need to use soy wax as an alternative. Skip the coconut oil in the event you do.
Candle Making Ideas and Methods:
- Warmth your glass candle containers within the oven on low (170 levels Fahrenheit) whereas your beeswax melts on the range high. This may enable little or no “shock” to the beeswax whereas it’s being poured into the containers which can forestall cracking. I put mine on a cookie sheet for simple removing.
- When you’ve poured the wax into your candle containers, enable your candles to chill within the oven at 170 levels Fahrenheit together with your oven door barely ajar. This may forestall cracking as nicely. You should definitely carry on cookie sheet!!
- Cleansing up after beeswax will be an unimaginable activity. I counsel you both use a disposable container to soften your coconut oil and beeswax in, or you’ll be able to put your glass bowl within the oven, enable the remaining beeswax to fully soften, then wipe it out with a paper towel. It’s the one method I’ve discovered to scrub up.
- When first lighting your candles, all the time level the flame on the backside of the wick in order that your candle will burn appropriately.
- The primary time you burn your candle, ensure you may have sufficient time to let it burn lengthy sufficient for the wax to soften evenly on the highest of the candle. That is essential with any candle and helps “prepare” your candle to not tunnel. (see beneath for extra tips about avoiding tunneling)
- Don’t get in a rush when melting your beeswax. In the event you soften your wax in too excessive a temp, you can render the beeswax ineffective. Preserve the range high on low-medium warmth.
- Don’t add your important oils whereas the warmth continues to be on the wax. If the wax is just too sizzling, the oil will dissipate and likewise be ineffective.
Associated Put up: Important Oil Spider Spray
Further Useful Tricks to Preserve Mosquitos Away:
- As talked about above, THESE bands are nice. They’re low cost, comfy and straightforward to move out at events.
- Plant lemon balm and/or citronella round your patio or had been you want to hang around. These vegetation add an additional layer of safety in opposition to annoying bugs. Citronella is a “tender perennial” so in the event you don’t have a tough winter, it more than likely will come again every spring. Lemon Balm can be a perennial and a bit extra hardy.
- Drop a number of further drops of important oil on the floor of your candles earlier than lighting.
- Lemon Eucalyptus oil is one other pure oil that works nicely in opposition to mosquitos and can be utilized in a diffuser outdoor.
- Burn citronella incense whereas exterior.
- Test round your patio house for any standing/stagnant water. You’d be shocked how eliminating water round your sitting space could make an enormous distinction.
Hassle Capturing Candle Tunneling
Do-it-yourself beeswax candles, whereas straightforward to make, are arduous to get proper. As you’ll be able to see from my pics, my candles are tunneling (when the wax solely burns down the center of the candle).
I’ve found out a number of tips to maintain your candles from tunneling and tackle it intimately in my learn how to make beeswax candles put up. I’ll let you know right here that it’s crucial that you simply “prepare” your candles the primary time you gentle them. This implies, you allow them to burn lengthy sufficient that the wax melts all the way in which to the outer edges of the container. Beeswax candles have a tendency to wish some assist with this so I might counsel you employ foil to assist. See image beneath.
Additionally, don’t be afraid to make use of 2 wicks in a single container. I’m discovering that solely votives work with 1 wick. Something bigger wants 2 if not 3 wicks.
Have enjoyable with this enjoyable selfmade citronella candle recipe! This yr, we want all the assistance we are able to get exterior!
You may also take pleasure in my tutorial for making soy candles.
Making your personal selfmade citronella candles is a good way to salvage these summer time nights spent exterior. They’re straightforward to make and comparatively reasonably priced. I feel THESE jars are an important dimension to make fairly a number of candles to maintain readily available to carry as hostess presents to barbecues!